Monday, September 5, 2011

Reading Blog: The Perfect Life

The Perfect Life by John Koethe

At first, when the poem had just started I thought it would be about someone who had it all, was happy and needed no more. However as the poem advanced I realized I was totally wrong. When the author reaches the third line he says "happy in a vague way: no disappointments", thus it can connect to a quote that says "Sometimes, we expect more form one person because we are willing to do, that much, for them." This person didn’t have high expectations, or just didn’t have any at all. You may be asking yourself why I am so negative. However, I’m just being realistic even if it's bad, that’s who I am. No one is perfect, makes no mistakes or lives the perfect life, at least thats what I think. There's no such thing as perfection.  This isn't about happy love or great fortune.

"The fake security of someone is the grip of a delusion" 

When I read the phrase stated above, I certainly knew that this person wasn’t okay. They weren’t in a good emotional state, I understand, although not fully. And no, I’m not a drama queen; I am just a bit sentimental. When someone is scared or sad they need reassurance that everything is going to be fine, but sometimes people do not understand and you’re left alone, in solitude. Thus, the only escape route you've got left is to reassure you’re going to be all right. But you're not; you're just lying to yourself. Living inside a bubble of lies. They try to find happiness and joy everyday. However, life its just an interpretation that changes with perspective, some my think its awesome others not. Perfection is just an matter of perspective. Koethe demonstrates this, as feeling we receive as we stop being kids and start acting as adults, as a feeling that grows stronger and sadder with time. 

As the poem progresses to the last paragraph, each time it upraises the perfect life. The author portrays it as an unhappy form of living, as a sad, cold and droopy feeling. Now you think, the perfect life is not perfect at all. 

The poem ends with, "A blank space, like a hole left in the wake of a perfect life, which closes over." as if living good life was just a mere memory, something we can only dream of or imagine. The author suggests that  perfection in happiness doesn't exist. Either someone has no expectations or  as we grow up and become adults. I support him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment